09 June, 2011

Ram Ball Joint - done!

The ball joint that joins the autopilot hydraulic arm to the tiller arm was so corroded, that I couldn't pull the clevis pin out. I ended up using a puller and a hacksaw to get the pin out (previous post). Since Simrad makes the hydraulic linear drive, the ball joint is kind of a special part (metric). I found a company that sold me the ball joint, and another company in the UK that sold me the metric (12mm) stainless steel clevis pin to fit inside the ball joint. I was a little worried about buying something from overseas, but fortunately Boneham Metal Products have great customer service and the UK Royal Mail rocks! Six days later I received the clevis pin. Last night I put the pin in. It was a tight fit as there is no wiggle room inside the ball joint, but it worked.